Sunday, February 28, 2016

It Is Bread Day!

I have been reading a lot and I even took an online course to make sourdough bread. I know I am obsessed(-: Today I will find out if that was a wise decision(-:
I still need to get a few more things to make baking easier. There are a lot of tools that help in making the perfect sourdough loaf. All are extremely over priced but I guess that's the way it is with all tools.

Here is the dough after 2 hours of autolyse and two stretching/folding sessions every 45 mins. I still have one more stretching/folding and then I will shape my bread(-:
 
My sourdough starter. It is coming along nicely. I am finally getting use to throwing out some every time I feed it. I had a hard time to doing that to start with.  But... I will say that is very important to the process. I tried not throwing it out and that was a fail.(-:

 
Also don't give up on your starter if after 4 days it looks and smells like something died. It is also the process of growing a culture. Mine was nasty smelling. I thought yuck, who would want to put this into a loaf of bread? Well about the 8th day it all started to smell wonderful. So it does take the full two weeks to really get it going and growing.
Seriously, what is a bag of all purpose unbleached flour for anyhow? A little fun and games seems to be worth the expense. I have enjoyed this process this time for sure. It is pretty interesting.
 
I also recommend a scale. The first starter I made I did not use a scale. I just threw in a cup of flour/water and let it grow. This time I am weighing everything. It seems to have made a huge difference! I had read online to start with that throwing a cup of flour/water together was the way to go, but I am liking it this way much better. It is so much easier to know exactly you are taking out and putting in. I feel that is important to the final outcome. But we shall see when it is all said and done.
 
There are all sorts of things you can bake with discarded sourdough starter too. Many recipes online. I tried a banana/zucchini bread recipe yesterday and it was delish. Pancakes are suppose to be super awesome as well. I have not tried those.
  There is also a recipe for fast hot rolls. I might try some of those this week.
 
Tonight the Princess will start staying with me until next Friday. Her parents are going on a cruise. I have never been on a cruise so I can't say if it will be fun or not, but I am sure the Princess and I will enjoy having the week to ourselves(-:
Bon Voyage Parentals!
 
 

1 comment:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

You are a trooper for sticking with so much work and detail with this sour dough mix .. I make bone broth and I thought that could entail a lot of work ... but I think this is so much hard but it does sound delicious ! mail me some of that zucchini bread ? LOL !!
Joy : )
PS .. I am working backwards on your blog girl ... can you tell ? LOL