Sunday, April 28, 2013

Owl Update



Well sad news to report. One owlet hatched and it fell from the tree somehow. Sometimes nature is cruel. Anyhow, the owls have left the nest. I was really sad to find the owlet on the ground deceased.
I had not seen the owls in the tree for a couple days, so I went to investigate. I can see the tree from the house, so I can tell if they are in the nest without going out to see all the time.
An adult owl was on the ground a couple times during those two days so I thought maybe something was wrong with it. It flew off when I went to look around. That is when I found the owlet. It was alive but died sometime during that night. It was way up in the tree probably 30 feet or so. Maybe the long fall injured it. So this year was not successful to the owls. Hopefully they will try again next year.
Until then I guess I will get to see them hanging out on a branch...whooo whooooooing all night long. I am going to miss seeing the owlet grow up though. Very sad. )-:

4 comments:

ferne said...

That is sad, but how it goes in nature sometimes. I love your owl posts!

Tootsie said...

that is soooo sad! poor little baby

My Little Family: said...

so sad...I feel as though I should say that I am sorry for your loss.

perhaps you can find an owl cam and watch a successful pair. I did that last year with 3 hawk chicks. it's bittersweet to see them grow up and leave

Brighid said...

So sorry to read about your owlet. Our's were back for a while in their favorite tree, but no babies. I had not heard them for a while, and then last night they were hooting again... Mother nature has her reasons.