»

Friday, July 13, 2012

Ugh What a Week!

It started off good. I went to another plant sale at Simply Plants on Saturday and got some nice things. A beautiful lilium Penthouse, elfin thyme, sedum, and a dwarf Echinacea. Haven't even planted them yet because of what happened on Monday.

I also made two cement leaf castings. I still havent removed all the old leaf or I would take a picture of those. They turned out pretty cool. I also worked on my kids garden. Decided to keep the theme only rearrange it a bit. I made some cement bricks one set with the saying, Bloom Where You Are Planted, and one set with the kids names on them. Even though said kids (son in law included) are 24, 25 and 28 now, they will always be my kids.(-: Maybe someday I will be able to add my Grandkids names to the garden too! Those little brick making kits you buy are quite fun to do but they only give you one set of alphabet letters. Really you need at least two. But I made one a day and got it all finished up this morning.

Soooooo...on with the worst part of the week.
On Monday I got up early and planned to spend most of the day outside working. I got the hedge pruned and Jack wandered around with me most of the time. He went missing for a bit and I called him and he did not come. Which is normal sometimes for him if he is digging. I was done pruning anyhow so I put up the hedge pruner and went to see what he was up to. Well after looking for 15 or so minuets and no sign of him I thought I would go see if somehow he went inside. Well there on the front porch is where I found him.










I was beside myself as you can imagine. At first it was just the side of his nose so I thought...oh you were stung by a meat bee. He hates meat bees and will chase them and bite them. I took him inside and he went right to the bed and laid down. I sat with him for a while and as I watched his nose got bigger! After about 30 mins I decided it had to be a rattlesnake bite. BY this time though it was to late to take him to the vet for an anti venom shot. Which later I found out that he could have had an epi pen shot. SO if that ever happens again I could always do that.

I applied ice cold wet towels to his nose for the next several hours. My dad had just went through this with his dog just a couple weeks ago. So I knew what he did for his dog. I gave Jack a benedryl and lots of back rubs and tummy rubs and just waited it out. After about 8 hours he seemed to feel a little better and wanted to go outside. That's when I took the pictures. It swelled up a lot more after that but I did not get to take anymore pictures. Jack went potty and came back inside and back to bed.
More ice cold on the nose and we just laid around waiting for him to feel better. Mainly he just slept. I gave him some icecream and canned dog food inbetween times to make him happy. He loved all the attention. Today he is back to his old self. A small bit of swelling on his neck but not noticeable. I never did find the snake. So it is somewhere in the yard waiting for me I suppose.

Hopefully next week goes better. I don't think I would go through another ordeal like that! Enjoy your weekend! ~Cindee

Update:
Thanks for the kind words(-: Jack is doing great and back to his old self.(-: This week has been better, although I found out that someone I knew passed away last week so that added to that terrible week. I am looking forward to next week and things getting more positive around here!(-: Happy Weekend Everyone!!!(-:

4 comments:

creekside rummager said...

Sorry your week was so stressful, but I'm so glad Jack is OK. I saw a dog on TV bitten by a rattlers and the swelling was unbelievable. This week has been hard on a lot of people. Fires for one nearby. We had a close friend die. Heat - I know you had that too. Hopefully next week is better. Be careful in the garden.

Randy said...

Cindee you be careful! Sorry to hear about Jack I'm glad he's feeling better.

There is NO WAY you have children that old! I was thinking you were barely that age yourself. Seriously! I just told a friend of mine, "This young girl makes the neatest stuff out of recycled materials." LOL I guess I never noticed the picture of you kids in the sidebar.

Hope you have a great weekend.

My Little Family: said...

Poor Jack...so sorry to hear about this. Eddie & Daisey send lots of licks.

Brighid said...

Ahhh, glad to hear Jack is back to normal.
Be careful out there...we killed 30+ jingleworms (in the yard) the last summer we lived on one ranch. Our main cowdog was bitten 3 times while we were there. ugh!