»

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Just The Right Shade

The inspiration lamp shade:
This shade is for sale online for 59.99. Ouch!



Well... after much fretting I finally found a way to get the color I wanted for the shade. It's called Tulip Fabric Spray Paint in Sunshine Yellow.(-:
Yes, I did try the dye but being a very cheapo Wal Mart shade it would not absorb the color. I was pretty disappointed and thought I would never get it right! But, (I never give up you know) I decided to try the fabric spray paint and it worked! So in case you want to try this yourself don't be afraid to get the spray and spray away. It's worth the extra couple bucks and of course I used a 40% off coupon from Michael's for the paint(-:


Now, for the trim. I bought a 5/8 inch black velvet ribbon to glue onto the shade. I bought some Aleenes Tacky Glue to hold it. I am so excited with the results so far. (-:

I think this will work just fine and only cost me 11.88 per shade and of course the 4.00 paint... with the 40% off coupon... a bottle spray paint.(-: The trim ribbon was 3.00.(-:

I better get this finished up asap because my daughter will be here in 3 1/2 hours. Its a surprise for her new home(-: Hope she likes it(-:

6 comments:

ferne said...

Looks great! I didn't know there was fabric spray paint...I'll be checking into that for sure!

Grace Peterson said...

Fabric spray paint? Who knew? Of course Cindee did! You're so talented, girl. Great lampshade. I'm sure your daughter will love it.

Brighid said...

Looks great, you crafty thing.

The Japanese Redneck said...

Good job! It's beautiful and I'm sure she loved it.

Lola said...

59.99 for a lamp shade? No way.
Your looks much better. I haven't tried the fabric paint yet. Sounds like it's easy.

ZZ said...

I posted this earlier but it doesn't look like it went through..but what I said was that the shade looks really good and that it looked like something you buy from a store.

Then I was saying if you ever want to have a career to fallback on, refurbishing furniture is a good choice.