»

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Great Horned Owlet

Great Horned Owl in a nearby pine tree. Not sure if male or female. I could not get close enough to tell. I am thinking it is the male though.


This is the momma owl watching closely over her owlet.


Owlet








I was so excited today to see this little owlet up close and personal after I noticed his mother in an oak tree. She was calling to him and I took a look around and found him sitting on a low branch. He seemed fine so I was happy(-: I am very happy to know that they were so close to me this whole time and I never saw them. They were nesting in a few trees over from the pine tree where they were last year. I have been looking for them but have not found their nest until now(-: I see and hear them every night though. I actually thought they were nesting out of my area. So funny how sneaky they are.

6 comments:

The Japanese Redneck said...

That is so very cool. We only get to hear them. Hardly ever see them and never seen them nesting.

ferne said...

How precious! I can't believe you got that close.

Brighid said...

We have three Great Horned owlets in a nest by the house. They are a "hoot" to watch. Their mom is kept very busy feeding such a brood.

Lola said...

Aaawwww, that baby is so cute. Glad you had them close. Hopefully they all will stay around.
Hope you are doing ok.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cindee girl : ) I haven't been here in ages (sorry about that .. dealing with busy things here)
OMG !! Do you know how lucky you ARE girl ! I would so love to hear let alone see these gorgeous creatures : ) I would be in heaven hearing owls ans frogs !!
The baby is so darn cute and the mom is a beauty, you took awesome pictures girl !!
Joy : )

Jennifer said...

what a beauty! Jennifer