»

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's In An Owl Pellet?

Well lets find out!
I finally found one the other day and dug though it. Since I had never seen one before I had no idea how large they were! This one was black and kinda reminded me of paper pulp about the size of a baseball! Of course I forgot to bring my camera that day on my walk. I was so mad at myself. Never forget your camera! That is when you always find something interesting to take a picture of!!!(-:
Anyhow, I did find this cute little jaw bone.


That's as much as I could find because the dogs were ready to move on to the next attraction. We just have way to much fun here don't we?(-:
Speaking of teeth...
I think I will share one of mine with you(-:

Isn't it ugly? Well I lost a filling and the tooth cracked and broke. No chance of saving it so I had to have it removed. And yes, I asked the doctor to save it for me so I could put it under my pillow for the toothfairy!(-: Just kidding, but hey you never know right?(-:
After much thought I decided to have an implant done. The Oral Surgeon said I was a perfect candidate and that it would go right in after he removed the old tooth. I thought that would be a good idea compared to having a bridge to no where put in! The whole procedure wasn't bad at all. Really, I expected a lot worse! All I needed was some advil and I was good to go(-:
The soup/yogurt/jello diet is getting old though. I can't wait till my appointment tomorrow and he says its all healed and ready to chomp on(-:
I will have to wait for 4 months to get the new tooth put on(-:

post signature

6 comments:

The Japanese Redneck said...

I hate dental work. Glad you're getting it fixed.

ZZ said...

There's another person I posted a comment on who was also having dental work done. I guess this is the season for it, looks like.

As far as saving the tooth, I heard you could put the tooth in a cup of milk, and then bring with you to the dentist office.

That's what I have heard. Don't know if it's true or not.

Maybe you could try that if it ever happens to you again (hopefully, it won't).

:D

Meadowview Thymes said...

Ouch! I have the nicest dentist--but I hate to go. I think I would rather have an physical than go to the dentist. (but I do like that "happy gas" they have there!) :)

Jan@Thanks for today. said...

Wow, I wonder what animal that jawbone came from...it looks pretty good sized in your photo! I dug through some owl pellets with my son when he was in boyscouts years ago...but those pellets had been sterilized/irradiated to eliminate bacteria/disease, etc. I imagine the fresher stuff would have more newly digested material to see--if you can stomach it! And just be careful to wear gloves or wash well so you don't get sick;-) It's been ages since I've stopped over here for which I apologize...it's getting pretty darn busy in blogland these days and hard to keep up with everyone I'd like to. Glad your dental procedure wasn't too bad for you. I have a bridge, but have never had an implant. If one of the teeth the bridge connects to goes though, it's good to know it's not too painful to deal with;-) Happy New Year to you and yours.

Cinj said...

I disected an owl pellet in high school during a topics in biology class. It really was pretty cool.

I hate going to the dentist too, but it's better to get the stuff done and out of the way. They saved the wisdom tooth they pulled from my mouth but it was pretty nasty looking since I couldn't reach all surfaces to brush it. Lots of decay. After I looked at it I had them dispose of it for me. Hopefully you'll be able to eat real food soon.

Brighid said...

There used to be a guy that came to the ranch and collected the owl pellets from the barns. Said he made a good living at it, sold them to those that supplied labs, high schools, etc.
Ugh, not a fan of the dentist. Will be interested to hear how the implant goes. Need a couple done but no ins, so it will have to wait for the tooth fairy...