»

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dances With Owls

As I went to lock up the "girls" Sunday evening, I heard the Whoo Whoo of a Great Horned owl. Of course being me, I Whoo Whoo'd back. Well guess "Who" flew over to see me? Yup that’s right! It was Mr. Great Horned himself!(-: We had quite a nice chat and then he flew back the way he came. It was pretty amazing(-:


He and his matey (Click here to see a previous post) have lived in the neighborhood for several years now. I have been lucky enough to see them hatch out three sets of "little hooters". I think that qualifies me as being their friend(-: Although, I never imagined one would actually fly over to see me.(-: Usually we "chat" while they are up in the huge digger pine tree that is in our yard. They watch me as I mow the lawn and do other gardenly chores. Of course, they probably think it is quite boring to be a human(-: After all we must BBQ our meat or cook it in some way, where as they can just eat theirs as soon as they get it(-: Soon I hope to see the G.H.Owls getting ready to start their 4th family. I can't wait to have "chats" with their owlets(-:

post signature

8 comments:

creekside rummager said...

How nice. It seems like he found you interesting too. So glad you are back Cindee.

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Hi Cindee. It is good to see you posting again. Owls are such amazing birds. You are so lucky to have them to visit with you. I would love to capture a picture of one. Have a great week.

The Japanese Redneck said...

That's cool!

Reminds me of my hubby talking to the bob white quails.

Lola said...

How nice. We can commune with nature if we take time. I like to try any time I can.

Shirley said...

What a rare and wonderful treat to have a great-horned family nearby! No mice problems for you!

Brighid said...

Dances with Owls, you are a hoot.

artteachergirl said...

I have owls that live in my yard/woods around my house. They visit...sit high in the trees and watch me. Sometimes if I whistle after hearing them Whoooo they come closer. They like to sit on my arbors. They are good to have around. Enjoyed your blog and I will visit again.

Kathleen said...

That is incredible. Great picture too. We have a pair that live in our neighborhood but I've never been lucky enough to experience what you just did. I think it's a good sign for the New Year!