Friday, January 8, 2010

Fertilizer Friday


Happy Fertilizer Friday everyone!
This is about it for me. The yard is dead as usual for this time of year. Maybe more so since we had such a cold December. I will be interested to know what makes it this Spring. Some things are not looking to promising!






The violets do great this time of year though so that is the important thing right? I have a new one setting buds and that is exciting because it will be the first time for it! I have no idea what color it is going to be(-:

~Namely Nancy~
You might remember that two years ago this April I purchased leaves from a Violet grower. Read About Them Here
Well, it took forever for them to grow. Most have not bloomed yet! I did fertilize regularly too. Oh well. It was a fun experiment! (-:
I would not do it again that way but it was a cheap way to get a bunch of different violets all at one time(-: I just didn't know it would take so long for them to grow and mature enough to bloom. If I had a greenhouse it would have happened much faster I'm sure, but since I don't, they have to sit in the window and hope for the best(-:
All of the plants have healthy leaves but only four violets bloomed so far! I started out with 2 leaves from 13 different violet plants. I have 9 different plants that rooted and grew out of those leaves. Whoopie! So it wasn't very successful for me.
Don't forget to stop by Tootsie Time and check out the other Fertilizer Friday participants!

post signature

9 comments:

The Japanese Redneck said...

So beautiful. I love them. But, no can do with all the house kitties!

Brighid said...

You are doing much better than I. Never could grow African violets. The only things doing well are the cabbages,broccoli,carrots, red salad bowl & oak leaf lettuces in the plastic covered raised beds.

CiNdEe said...

Hi Japanese Redneck,
My Kitties are outside cats and the dogs can't "reach" them(-:

Hi Bighid,
I have grown African Violets pretty much since I was a little kid. I have always loved them(-: Must be a past life thing(-:

Darla said...

A lot of us are drooling and dreaming of greenhouses this time of the year. I'm not so good at indoor plants, my one violet, out of three is doing okay...doesn't look like yours though.

Cinj said...

I had an African Violet once. House plants don't seem to do so well in my house though. I seem to kill any plant that enters my front door. Surprises are always fun though, aren't they?

CiNdEe said...

Hi Darla,
It is hard during the winter months to not be able to get out and do some gardening! I would love a greenhouse so I could do that(-:

Hi Cinj,
I have my violets in a west and east window and they seem to do pretty good. They need a lot of sunlight but not directly on them. The kitchen ones get extra humidity from when I am cooking/doing dishes etc. They like that too(-:

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

My pond is frozen and my plants are shriveled. So sad to look outside.
Brenda

Jan @ bobbypinsboardwalk said...

I've just been sitting here listening to my music enjoying all the beautiful pictures of your flowers (both real and glass). I'm going to follow you in the hope that I can learn a bit or two about some of these gorgeous accents you use outdoors!

creekside rummager said...

Oh Cindee I do understand the winter woes. I'm sure we're in goog company this year. But your violets are wonderful. I use to grow violets. Yours made me think that maybe I should do that again. I love the variety. Also love your little fluttering butterflies.