»

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ahoy Mateys! Boy do I have a story for you!
Todays adventure started at 5am! We got up, loaded up and left for the lake. Dad wanted to get there before the sun came up! I told Dad that was just to early for me, but he wasn't listening!
When we got to the lake, Dad got the boat in the water and we started our voyage! I figured I would catch a lot of Z's on board Dads boat so I wasn't to worried, but not long after we anchored in our favorite fishing hole and I was finally sound asleep and snoring, I got a whiff of something. I jumped to attention like any good old guard dog would do.





No It wasn't an Osprey I smelled...



And...it most certainly was not the silly CAT TAILS! Which by the way look nothing like a cats tail! Who comes up with these names for plants anyhow?



Neither was it the quacky ducks!



The smell I smelled was definitely not an Egret either...

No this was a very distinct smell. I had to bark to get my Mom and Dads attention...It was something much bigger.


Yup there it is...

A black bear...

And not just one...Mom and Dad said there were seven altogether!

I lost count. I got tired of counting bears!

The bears seemed to be searching for something to eat. I am glad they decided to look somewhere else.

They were pretty big!

They liked the water!

They also seem to like to chase each other!

We watched them for a long time until they were out of sight!

Then pretty soon another one would come around the corner!

And, sometimes we saw two bears at the same time!


Even after we left that area and went to another place we saw one more bear!



Needless to say, I was so exhausted after all that bear watching I passed out on the blanket in my chair!


I was so glad to get home to my nice warm bed and not have to worry about bears anymore!

Until next time,
May you all have a tastey bone to chew on!
Your Captain,
Jack!

post signature

19 comments:

GardenJoy4Me said...

Cindee .. wow ! I had no idea you were near black bears .. or bears of any type ! Captain Jack must have been VERY glad to be with his mom and dad during that sighting ? LOL
Blotanical seems to be quite screwy this weekend .. the line up for picking posts is not there are you having problems too ? or is it just all about me ? LOL
Joy

Phyllis said...

Hi Cindee,
Wow is right! That's really got to have been a sight - so many bears in one place.

Sure glad Captain Jack has a good nose!

CiNdEe said...

HI Joy,
It was a real thrill for good ol' Capt. Jack!
I haven't been on blotanical in ages. Sorry can't help there!!!!

Hi Phillis,
It was pretty amazing. Especially because I have never seen a bear there before let alone 7!!!!
I just got an antique life saver ring on eBay the other day. It has your name on it! (-:

This Eclectic Life said...

Great pictures, Cindee! Jack is so amazing not to turn tail and run! You, too! I know I would have.

I'm thinking that Jack needs his own blog! He sure has some great adventures.

I passed a blogging award along to you ... just so you know!

Meadowview Thymes said...

OMG Jack! What an adventure you had. I am so glad you were in charge Jack--mom and dad are very lucky to have you to keep a good look out for them. I hope they served you extra ice cream when you got home!

(Cindee-you have the most wonderful blog--you need to write a book!)

Peggy said...

Hi Cindee,what a scoop to photograph a whole bear family! From a safe distance I hope

Brighid said...

Cindee, Do you think it was because of all the fires in the area that so many bears were spotted? Especially in the day time? Glad to hear Capt Jack was on guard duty.

flowrgirl1 said...

how incredible! A chance encounter that most dont get. I still havent seen a bear but everyone i know has.

CiNdEe said...

Hi This Eclectic Life,
Thanks! I am going to add a awards page to my blog to to show them off!!(-:

Hi Meadowview Thymes,
Yes it was quite the day for me! I was tuckered out(-: I had lots of yummy treats when I got home and then I went to bed with Mom(-:

Hi Peggy,
Yes we were in the boat so we were far enough away from the bears! Thanks for stopping by!!!

Hi Brighid,
I think its a possibility that the fires sent them down to the lake. It was unusual to see so many for sure!!!!
Jack says to tell Max hi and to give him a nice doggy snack(-:

Hi flowrgirl1,
It was fun to see so many!!(-:

The Japanese Redneck said...

Great story and pictures. But, sure am glad we don't have them around here!
Ramona

My Little Family: said...

Jack, you are so handsome. And you are brave to be near those scary bears. Miss Daisey (Eddie's sister)

CiNdEe said...

Hi Japanese Redneck,
Yeah I wouldn't like having them where I live that is for sure! They are fun to see but not if they were at my house!

Hi Miss Daisey!!!!!!
You are so cute! Thanks for writing to me again(-:
Tell Eddie he is lucky to have such an awesome sister!

flowergardengirl said...

I'm scared--that is a lot of bears. You've posted about them before and I was scared then too.

Jack needs a special treat jar that is for special bear sightings. He needs to be rewarded for keeping you all safe.

CiNdEe said...

Hi flowergardengirl,
It was a lot! We do have fires around in the area so that is probably why they were down at the water.
Last summer the guys saw the one bear!
There are signs posted at the Marina saying that bears are in the area and to be careful and lock up your stuff! So I guess they were just showing us they really were there!

Ms. Fiddlesticks said...

Oh my gosh! 7 at one time. Where was Capitan Jack and his Dad? No wonder his ears perked up. Glad the camera was handy.

Our Primitive Heart said...

I love Captain Jack Journey,
Thanks for share.
Left with a big smile :-)
Cindy

Judy Butler said...

Cindee, I am just reading about Captain Jack's Adventures. What a cleaver Idea. Wonderful way to tell a story. I will be back to your blog to check for more Adventures! Judy

ncshabbybeach said...

Bears...Oh My!!!! They are stunning!!1 I know you must have been excited!!!! What great pics you got! I hate that the bears were moved by the fire and I hope they get to return to their homes soon. (Smart Bears to head for the water huh!) BTW Capt Jack is a good Dog!

Sue said...

What an exciting adventure! Thanks for sharing it with us.