Sunday, May 17, 2009

My First Glass Plate Flower

This is my first attempt at making a glass plate flower. I like how it turned out.(-:
The DH helped with the soldering of the copper pipe(-: He even cut out the leaves. He has some talent that boy!
The leaves are made out of copper sheeting. I had a piece left over from the gold fish. Geez have you priced that stuff lately? When we bought it, it was about 12-18 dollars a sheet. It is around 50.00 dollars now! Yikesy! I guess that means that glass plate flower is pretty valuable(-: The copper pipe I already had and we bought fittings to hook it all together!
Speaking of putting it together...I bought the plates at the dollar store. I drilled each glass plate and used an antique ceramic electric fence insulator (Thanks to my GJ Friends) for the finishing touch. I put a bolt though each piece and bolted it to a copper cap. The copper cap was soldered to an elbow and then soldered onto the copper pipe. That litle flower is not blowing off there, no sir-ee!
The best part about these glass plate flowers? No need for water, fertilizer or pruning. They will look just beautiful no matter where they are planted!


post signature

11 comments:

nancybond said...

Cindee, I think your flower is artistic and very beautiful. It's sure to be a winner this season. :)

RainGardener said...

Beautiful Cindee - you are so talented!

Sheila said...

Very pretty!

Shabby Cottage Collectibles said...

Wow I've really enjoyed your blog! Did you make the tipsy pots and if so how did you do it? Would love to have some in my yard. Warm wishes, Esther

Meadowview Thymes said...

Cindee, that is precious! You are amazing! If you ever decide to sell them...you have a buyer! :)

CiNdEe said...

Hi Nancy,
Thank You!!! I am sure it will out last all the flowers in my yard when the summer temperatures reach 115 degrees(-:

Hi RainGardener,
Thanks!!!!

Hi Sheila,
Thank You!!!

Hi Shabby Cottage Collectibles,
Thanks! Yes I made the tipsy pots. All you need is a rebar T-post that you can buy at Tractor Supply or a place like that! Rebar works too just the T part holds it in the ground and won't let the pots fall over. They are heavy! Then you just start by sliding the first pot down the rebar and each pot after that you tilt to the side. You will see as you go. Fill each pot after you get it sitting just right. Thats all there is to it! It looks harder then it is!

Hi Meadowview Thymes,
Thanks(-: They are simple to make. I am sure you could make some yourself! It just takes time to drill the holes in the glass. The soldering takes a bit too but its a pretty easy project to do(-: I did buy the glass plates but other then that I had the copper already. That is the pricey part anyhow(-:

My Little Family: said...

You are so clever!

Jamie and Randy said...

Now that's just beautiful! I was thinking about those old electric fence insulators just last week. I wonder where I could find some... I'll be ther are hard to find now.

CiNdEe said...

Hi My Little Family!
Thanks(-: I got the idea from Garden Web. Some of the ladies there have made some really beautiful glass plate flowers.(-: I kept wanting to do some but just never had the right plates.

Hi Randy,
I actually just saw some electric fence insulators on eBay(-: They are good prices too. It did add a lot to the flower I think. I really like the rustic look(-:

Doris the Great said...

It's lovely. You should be very proud of yourself.

flowergardengirl said...

Oh Gosh Cindee---that is so neat. It looks classy and expensive. I can see how a whole bunch of them together would break the bank but with different patterned glass plates wouldn't that be so awesome?