»

Friday, March 27, 2009

Midnight Visitor

Last Friday night about midnight I was just getting to sleep when my husband said there was something outside the glass sliding door. He said he could hear a scratching or brushing sound. I have terrible hearing so I didn't hear a thing(-: I thought about a phone call I had about 11pm from my dad who said there was a helicopter flying around down by his place and police driving by. I was wide awake after that! (-:
My husband got his flashlight and shined it through the glass. Surprise, it was nothing terrible, it was a little hummingbird.(-: He said what are you going to do? I said, why me? (-:
The cats like to sit next to that window at night. So you can imagine how long a little hummingbird would survive.
I jumped out of bed and went out to rescue the little bird. I thought maybe it was stuck or something. It was just cold and could not fly. So I took it inside and cooked up some hummingbird food.(-: I cooled it down really quick by putting it in the freezer for a few mins(-: I left it luke warm so it would warm up the bird.
We had fun watching it suck up the food from the teaspoon! A long tongue came out and it just sucked it up like a straw! What a fun experience. I have never been that up close and personal to a hummingbird in the 26 years I have been feeding them. It drank a lot!
After I fed it and warmed it up it was still not flying. It was almost 1am by now so we decided to put it in a little square black bag with a zip mesh top. I thought if it lived through the night it would be a miracle. At least it was safe from the cats. I went to bed!
I woke up the next morning to a buzzing sound. I knew my little critter was alive and well. I got up and fed it some more food and then took it outside to let it go. I sat it on the hummingbird feeder so it could get use to being outside again and it stayed there for several minuets. I thought maybe it still could not fly so I went over to it and picked it up in my hand. Well, that was all it took and the little bird buzzed off for the trees! I was so happy to see it survive and fly again! It was a rare experience and I was happy I was able to be part of its recovery.
I sure wish animals and birds could talk to us and let us know what is going on don't you?(-:


16 comments:

Sunita said...

How amazing to get to hold a hummingbird!
I'm curious though... what makes up hummingbird food?

tina said...

Yes I do! The things they would say! Glad you could save her.

Meadowview Thymes said...

This brought tears to my eyes! What a kind person you are Cindee! I wouldn't have known quite what to do even though I have been feeding hummers outside for years. This is a great story and wonderful way to start my morning. Thanks! :)

GardenJoy4Me said...

Cindee ! what an amazing experience ! .. I can't believe the touch you have with wild animals and birds .. I was thinking just holding the poor little thing was too much stress for it to bear but you did a magnificent job caring for it !
Congratulations girl ! You mothered a beautiful creature and saved its life : )

WiseAcre said...

Wow. I'm going to come over and scratch on your door some midnight. Steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli and fresh baked bread before getting tucked into bed sounds nice.

Animals do talk and you proved some people do understand.

cindee said...

Hi Sunita,
I fed it what I feed the other hummingbirds. Sugar water(-: It needed a kick start to get its engine running again(-:

Hi tina,
I was happy too(-:

Hi Meadowview Thymes,
I love all creatures(-: I can not stand to see one in distress.

Hi Joy,
I thought holding it would be stressful on it too but it was very glad to be held. It warmed it right up(-: I didn't squeeze it just covered it with my hand to keep it warm(-:

Hi WiseAcre,
(-:

Skeeter said...

I also wish the animals could talk to us. I talk to them all the time in hopes that one day they will answer me back. :-) The little hummers are such amazing birds and we really do enjoy them in our yard. I hope to find and document a nest some day but they are so small, I doubt we will ever be that lucky...

cindee said...

Hi Skeeter,
I talk to them all the time too. It would freak me out if they answered back but I guess that would solve the problem of not knowing what they wanted(-: LOL I have never seen a nest either. My dads GF said she saw one one time and watched the progress from the eggs untill they left the nest. I wish I could see that one day too!

CatHerder said...

omg thats awesome I have only seen them up really close in pics. when we lived in the country, they would come visit my trumpet vine and fuschias all the time, but moved around so fast i could never get a good pic. It feels so good saving a little critter, doesnt it!

flowergardengirl said...

It knew you would love it. I'm not at all surprised you did that. I too wish they could talk or at least we could understand what they are saying.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Fantastic. What a great experience. Glad the little hummer landed at your house and is on its way again.

My Little Family: said...

Wow! What a cool adventure. The closest I've ever come to a hummingbird was when they would fly by my head as I worked in my flower gardens. The ones in Seattle seemed to be attracted to my red hair.

perennialgardener said...

How wonderful that you were able to rescue this poor little creature & nurse it back to health. :)

Robin's Nesting Place said...

That is an amazing story! You need to submit this to Birds and Bloom or another source!

Rick said...

I agree with Robin, you need to write this adventure up and submit it to Birds and Blooms! You even have pictures to go with the article. And a happy ending too! Thanks for posting it.

Kathleen said...

Oh Cindee, what an amazing experience. There is no better feeling than to think you've had a positive impact on a wild creature. I'm sure if that hummingbird could talk, it would thank you!