»

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Homemade Pumpkin Pie

I bought an organically grown pie pumpkin and cut it in half, removed the seeds/strings and cooked it. After it was cooked I cut it up, minus the skin, and put it in the blender. I blended it until it was a nice smooth texture. It made 4 cups of cooked pureed pumpkin. Enough for two pies. (-:
The pumpkin pie recipe for one pie was...
2 cups of pumpkin,
2 eggs,
2/3 packed brown sugar,
three teaspoons of cinnamon,
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg,
1/2 teaspoon of salt,
1 cup of cream.
I mixed everything in the mixer and poured it into the crust.



I make my own crust from 2/3 cup of shortening. I like Crisco Butter flavor. 2 cups of flower and 1/3 cup of cold water.

This is the pie baking in the oven. I baked it at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 mins. It was time to leave for our Halloween party after it came out of the oven so I did not get another picture. It sure was yummy though(-:

10 comments:

Kudzu said...

I've never made home-made pumpkin pie either...thanks SO much for the recipe! My daughter hauled a HUGE pumpkin home and we didn't carve it, and are thinking "pie"! The brown sugar sounds like it's gonna make it extra tasty!

Gail said...

Cindee, I think homemade cust and pie filling makes for a new perfect pie. What makes it perfect...that I can taste it! gail

Nola @ the Alamo said...

I have never made a pumpkin pie from scratch, always just used canned pumpkin! I love pumpkin pie, with tons of cool whip on top!

GardenJoy4Me said...

Cindee ... this looks absolutely scrumptious ! .. now you have made me crazy thinking about home made pumpkin pie girl !!!
Great job ! : )

Shirley "EdenMaker" said...

Your pic looks delicious! This was my first year to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. It was so much more flavorful. My crust was ok. Yours looks yummy!
Shirley

perennialgardener said...

I've never made one completely from scratch. It does look delicious! ;P

cindee said...

Hi Kudzu,
It is yummy. More work then using canned pumpkin but its worth it in the end(-:

Hi gail,
It is better making from scratch. I can hardly eat a store bought one.

Hi nola,
Canned pumpkin is good too. I usually use that if I don't have a pumpkin(-:

Hi Joy,
Thanks! It was delightful(-:

Hi Shirley,
There really is a huge difference between fresh pumpkin and canned.(-: I think making crust from scratch is fun but it depends on the temperature too. Usually I keep my flour in the freezer for pies. For some reason it makes a better crust when its really cold.

Hi periennalgardener,
Thanks! You should make one sometime. You would love it(-;

Skeeter said...

Yummy! Send me a big slice!

Renna said...

My mouth is really watering now!

Anna said...

Thanks for the hint about the flour in the freezer. I also need a marble slab somewhere so I can roll it out and still be chilled. Your pies look delicious. Did they get all eaten up? I'm sure everyone looks forward to your being at the part and bringing the goodies.