»

Wednesday, August 27, 2008



My Pears are ready to pick. So I picked a bunch that I could reach this morning. The tree is loaded. These are all 100% organic. I will share them with my friends at work.(-:



Jack says...Mommmmmmmmmmm...I don't care if those pears are organic or not I am not eating those for breakfast...wheres the meat?

Pear Update:
The type of Pear is called a D'Anjou Pear. Heres some info about it from Wikipedia...
D'Anjou
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Beurré d'Anjou, from The Pears of New York (1921) by Ulysses Prentiss Hedrick
A green D'Anjou pearThe D'Anjou pear, sometimes referred to as the Beurré d'Anjou or simply Anjou, is a short-necked cultivar of European Pear. It is thought to have originated in the early to mid-19th century, either in Belgium or in the vicinity of Angers in central France, previously called the Anjou province.[1] There are two main varieties of D'Anjou:

The Green Anjou has a pale green skin that doesn't change color as the pear ripens. Some other varieties of green pears turn yellow as they ripen.
The Red Anjou has a deep red skin that darkens as it ripens.
The d'Anjou is considered a medium to large pear, typically around 270–285 grams, 85 mm in height, and 80 mm in diameter. It has a wide, globular base, short stem, and thin skin with many notable lenticels, or pores, which allow the exchange of gases with the atmosphere. The flesh is described as "creamy white, aromatic, juicy, sweet, slightly acidic, with buttery and slightly gritty texture."[1]

D'Anjou pears are less expensive than other pear varieties, but are tart and have a lower sweetness level.[citation needed]

D'Anjou pears are often used in crafting various dishes. D'Anjou purée is used for Jelly Belly's Juicy Pear flavor of jelly bean.[2]

In the United States, the variety was recommended for general cultivation by the American Pomological Congress in 1852, and as of 2004 represented 34% of reported U.S. pear production.[3][4]

14 comments:

Nola @ AlamoNorth said...

Jack is adorable, and the pears look yummy! I can't believe it's late enough in the year for pears.
I was scrolling down through your site and I saw the photos of the beautiful glass totems; they are too neat. Did you make them, and where did the idea come from? It was something totally new for me, so now I'm trying to figure out what I have handy and how I can make one!

PGL said...

Jack is a cutie! His ears are so expressive, lol I think he should meet my Spaz. She's a funny little dog. :) Those pears look yummy.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Do you ever make pear preserves? They are my favorite!
Jack sure is precious!!

Lady Bug said...

Those are great looking pears! Do you know the variety? I just finished canning mine and made pear butter. Oh and Jack is cute!

Eve said...

Oh, cindee, you have some great looking pears there. I can just taste them. Do you make perserves or anything like that. They look so pretty and country, in those baskets.

Jack is a doll. Remember that commercial, with the little old lady saying, "where's the beef"? Probably not, you still are wet behind the ears. LOL.

I love pears and homemade pears not quite ripe with a salt shaker in hand is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I need to go on a hunt for some.

My LIttle Family: said...

I love Jack! He is so cute and looks like the typical inquizitive Rat Terrier. DOe she really eat pars? One of my ratties owuld but the other wouldn't. Vickie

Skeeter said...

Wow a big basket of balls there for Jack.. lol... Our neighbor’s dog is a Rat Terrier and he comes to visit us. We keep treats for him... The pears sure do look yummy. I love a good pear but can’t find them in the grocery. We now go to the local market instead. So much better fruits and veggies...

cindee said...

Hi Nola,
Thanks for your comments(-:
I did make the totems. I got the idea off of Garden Junk forum on Garden Web. They are fun to make and addictive too.(-:

Hi pgl,
Jack says thanks for the compliment!! His ears are very expressive. We call him Dobby for a nick name because sometimes he can make his ears look Exactly like Dobby from the Harry Potter Movie. He would love to play with Spaz(-:

Hi meadowview thymes,
I have done pear preserves in the past. I love to eat them fresh too. If I share with friends then they seem to be all gone in no time.(-:

Hi Lady Bug,
The Pear is a D'Anjou Pear.
Thanks for commenting!

Hi eve,
I have made preserves with the pears and they can up great. I usually just eat them though(-:
I do remember that wheres the beef commercial, thats why I said that...lol(-:

Hi Vickie,
Jack won't eat the pears. He is a very picky eater. (-: Just a tad spoiled too!!!

Hi Skeeter,
I bet you have fun with your neighbors dog!!(-; They are such sweet dogs. I enjoy eating pears when they are ripe. This year we had a huge crop(-:

Anna said...

I am in awe of the picture with all those sage green pears in that weather beaten basket. Can I copy that to my computer? The colors are my favorite. They look delicious.

cindee said...

Hi Anna copy away...(-: They are delicious pears too(-:

Renna said...

I love those pears, and your's look delish!

Jack's a real cutie, too. ;-)

lola said...

OMG That is quiet a lot of pears. Are you going to can some of them or perhaps make pear preserves? They sure are yummy looking.

Connie said...

Your pears look wonderful. Dried pears make a great snack!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I am jealous! When my Mother lived in Sacramento I was able to pick a pear off a tree, it was the most wonderful thing I've ever eaten. Your friends are truly blessed! :)